Osteochondrosis of the spine is a disease in which the structure and function of the intervertebral discs and cartilage are impaired. This is accompanied by regular painful sensations, as the affected tissues must ensure the mobility and elasticity of the spine. According to ICD 10, it belongs to the group of diseases of the musculoskeletal system, code - M42. The essence of the disease is the compression of the discs during load on the spine, which leads to their destruction or deformation. This causes damage to the nerve endings, resulting in pain and swelling. A negligent form of spinal osteochondrosis can lead to disability.
Causes of the development of osteochondrosis of the spine
What is this disease and where does it come from? The disease often appears in humans after 40 years. This is due to age-related salt metabolism disorders and dehydration. Factors contributing to the development of the disease:
- bending that causes curvature of the spine;
- underdeveloped spinal muscles;
- to be in a state of anxiety for a long time;
- regular transportation of heavy objects;
- sedentary lifestyle related to the characteristics of the work;
- metabolic disorders in the body;
- genetic predisposition;
- adverse effects of chemicals on the body;
- transmitted diseases of an infectious nature;
- nervous tension, stress with neurological manifestations;
- hormonal disorders in the body;
- professional sports related to power loads;
- spinal cord injury;
- a sharp change in position.
It is important to know!Unfavorable climatic conditions, periodic hypothermia can contribute to the development of the disease! Therefore, you should protect yourself from these factors as much as possible.
General symptoms of the disease
Osteochondrosis is always accompanied by pain and numbness. Such diseases can also appear:
- sharp, cutting, shooting pain;
- painful joints;
- dizziness, sometimes fainting;
- dryness and peeling of the skin;
- heavy sweating;
- low temperature of the extremities.
Depending on which part of the spine the disease is, other specific symptoms appear.
Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine: symptoms
This is the most dangerous place of defeat. After all, in the cervical region passes an artery that helps the normal functioning of the brain. According to the appearance of the disease, this artery is constricted and prevents the blood supply to the brain. Therefore, the patient experiences severe headaches, dizziness, general weakness of the body. Concentration decreases, memory deteriorates.
It is accompanied by pain in the back of the neck, under the shoulder blades, in the forearm, and sometimes the upper extremities become numb.
Osteochondrosis of the thoracic region
This type of disease is very rare, often accompanied by damage to other parts of the spine. It can be accompanied by such diseases:
- pain between shoulder blades;
- sharp pain with deep breathing;
- weakness and numbness in the fingers.
There are situations where a disease in the thoracic region can cause discomfort in the heart area.
Osteochondrosis of the spine
The most common type of disease, because the lower back carries the maximum load throughout a person's life. Radicular syndrome can cause osteochondrosis of the spine. The disease is characterized by compression of the nerve roots in the lumbar region, accompanied by various pains, and can spread to the thighs and hips.
During development, the normal functioning of the lower extremities is disturbed and is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- tingling sensation in the back of the foot;
- weakness of the lower extremities;
- numbness of the toes.
Disorders of the genitourinary system and intestinal function may also occur.
It is important to remember!At the first symptoms you should seek the help of a specialist! After all, an advanced form of the disease in a particular department can develop polysegmental osteochondrosis of the spine, which consists of the defeat of all departments at once.
Stages of osteochondrosis of the spine
There are 4 stages of the disease in modern medicine:
- Degree of osteochondrosis of the spine. It is difficult to detect the disease at this stage. There are no obvious signs. There is only a general weakness, a slight weakness in the back with anxious feelings associated with overwork. The disease is slow, usually detected by chance during regular examinations.
- Grade 2 spinal osteochondrosis. Pain symptoms appear due to the initial process of tissue destruction. If you seek professional help in time, this degree of disease can be cured fairly quickly thanks to medication.
- Grade 3 spinal osteochondrosis. The process of irreversible deformation of cartilage tissue begins, which is the cause of the development of scoliosis, lordosis, and the appearance of a lump. At this stage, treatment will improve the condition and minimize curvature.
- Grade 4 spinal osteochondrosis. In this final stage, a person experiences irreversible processes of destruction of spinal tissues. The patient has difficulty moving, which causes him unbearable pain.
It is important to know!Stage 4 of the disease leads the patient to disability! Therefore, it is necessary to consult a doctor at the first signs and start treatment on time.
Diagnosis of the disease
Complaints from the patient require contacting a specialist. To make a diagnosis, you should make an appointment with a neurologist or traumatologist who will refer you to such examinations after a thorough examination and examination:
- magnetic resonance imaging;
- general analysis of blood and urine.
Based on the research, the doctor draws a conclusion and prescribes effective treatment depending on the stage of the disease.
Treatment of osteochondrosis of the spine
There are many ways that can affect the course of the disease. They are aimed not only at relieving anxiety, but also at full recovery. The most effective treatments are:
They are aimed at eliminating painful sensations, eliminating inflammatory processes, restoring cartilage tissue and preventing the dynamic development of the disease. Vitamin intake is very important during this period.
The therapeutic effect is not immediately visible, so a course of about 2 months is prescribed.
Their use is aimed at eliminating the pain syndrome, the injection has no therapeutic effect.
The use of various ointments, creams or gels helps to get rid of inflammation. They also have analgesic and warming effects.
For such procedures, the patient is sent to a chiropractor. After all, only an experienced specialist can perform this manipulation qualitatively. Acupuncture even helps to relieve unbearable pain, has a beneficial effect on the nervous system and normalizes hormones.
The essence of the procedure is to apply a vacuum to the skin, which helps to restore blood flow, eliminate toxins and improve the condition of the body as a whole. Effectively eliminates painful feelingsThis type of massage should not be performed on the spine, mammary glands, heart or kidneys. Contraindications to the use of this procedure: patients with skin rash, heart disease and pregnancy.
- Magnetotherapy. It is used as an adjunct in the treatment of osteochondrosis. Helps to weaken the inflammatory process, eliminates swelling, tones the spinal muscles.
- Physiotherapy. It aims to restore the mobility of the spine, strengthen the back muscles and normalize metabolism. It is very important not to overload yourself while exercising.
- Massage. Needed to relieve pain and strengthen muscles.
It is important to remember!Regardless of the stage of osteochondrosis, only one specialist prescribes treatment! He can choose either a method or a complex treatment.
Treatment with folk remedies
You can use traditional medicine recipes that are easy to prepare at home to fight the disease. Only natural ingredients are used for this.
To prepare the drug you need 200 g of chopped garlic, which should be poured with 0. 5 liters of vodka or alcohol. Leave for 1 week in a cool, dark place, shaking daily. Use as a back rub after a while. Helps relieve pain
Bay leaf and juniper
You should take 1 tsp. Crush the original ingredients to a powdery consistency. Grind with 100 g of softened unsalted butter. Apply to the affected areas with the resulting ointment 3 times a day.
It will take 1 tbsp. l. wormwood, pour 1 cup boiling water. Insist 3 hours. Strain the resulting broth and rub your back before going to bed.
It is important to remember!Regardless of which prescription you choose for treatment, you should consult your doctor! She may consider using home remedies as an adjunct treatment.
Army and spinal osteochondrosis
After such a diagnosis, are they called up to the army? In order for a young person not to join the army, the following points must be made:
- intervertebral osteochondrosis;
- intense, shooting pain during physical exertion;
- clear signs of spinal deformity;
It is important to know!Painful feelings should be confirmed by seeking regular medical attention! Only in this case, the young man is not fit for military service.
Complications of the disease
Because the spine is the basis of the musculoskeletal system, osteochondrosis can cause irreparable damage to health. Consequences of the disease:
- herniated discs;
- vertebral displacement.
This can lead to organ dysfunction, decreased immune system, and new serious diseases.
It is important to know!Ignoring osteochondrosis leads to disability! Therefore, when a disease occurs, therapy should begin immediately.
Prevention of osteochondrosis of the spine
The following preventive measures should be taken to prevent the development of the disease:
- Diet. This is especially true for the elderly. Consumption of spicy, fatty, canned and smoked foods is required to be minimized. You should also avoid excessive use of salt, coffee, chocolate and alcohol. Proper nutrition helps remove salts from the body.
- Daily morning exercises. Light exercise will help keep the body in good condition and strengthen the muscular system.
- Orthopedic mattress. You should buy it for rest, because healthy sleep and complete rest minimize the likelihood of developing the disease.
Particular attention should be paid to the position in which you want to sleep. The most comfortable position for the spine is the embryo. In this situation, he is completely relieved. It is better to use a small pillow. In this way, you can protect your spine from excessive stress and give it the necessary rest.